We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information that you've provided to them or that they've collected from your use of their services.

Cleaning up the cabinet

At a very early stage of putting all the wires in the cabinet I had to find something to keep them in order.  I decided than to use a patch-panel just because I had one I could use.  As the time had passed the choice started to cause me trouble. 

If you connect everything once for good the patch-panel will do the job.  If, however, you need to change something from time to time, extend the system and cross some wires the patch panel will make it all impossibly difficult.  First I had to connect the wires from the alarm system to the movement sensors.  Then I needed to connect the valves controlling central heating.  It all forced me to place small plugs for wire crossing (marked red on the photo below).  When I started to think about building a network of 1-wire sensors it became quite obvious I need to find a better way to do it all...

Here is my cabinet before the clean-up.  You can see how it gradually extended and how I newer had time to put it all in right places:

 Szafa przed


In order to switch to KRONE connectors I had to:

  • buy a bucket of connectors (cheapest ones, from China)
  • a crone patch tool (the initial hope to use a screwdriver was idiotic)
  • making a steel frame to which all the connectors would be mounted and which itself would fit into the cabinet,
  • 16h of work standing
  • lots of nerves as the house froze...


At this occasion I had a chance to confirm the resilience of WAGO controllers to users' stupidity.  The controller was on all the time.  I needed it on to test each circuit after it was re-plugged into the new connectors.  When I was half way through something made a terrible noise ant 3 relays began to blink randomly.  I thought I made a short-circuit and damaged the program... but I was not able to establish any communication with the PLC from my PC.  Fear in the eyes.  All damaged, the house is dead, why have I touched it in the first place...  At the end I found a small wire, which slid through a ventilation chink in one of the PLC modules and short-circuited something inside. After I took it out, all returned to normal.  

Here is the cabinet after the 'clean-up':



Here is one of the element I made with KRONE mounts: 

Uchwyt KRONE


..and at the end the patch-panel after being removed from the cabinet.  You can see for yourselves why it could not go on like that any more.

patch panel